Friday, May 2, 2014

NEOPHYTE - Query and first 250 for Writer's Voice

Query:
At seventeen years old, Addisyn White throws herself in front of a bullet to save a friend. She expected to find pearly white gates and an eternity of calorie-free ice cream on the other side of life. Instead, her act of heroism earns her a pair of flightless wings and a family of dysfunctional angels.

The afterlife isn't all bad. She's on track to become the youngest guardian in one of the most well respected North American angel links. Trouble is, it's taking forever and a day. Five years of transitioning might not seem like much to angels who've spent decades or even centuries comforting dying souls and ushering them to the other side, but it's an eternity to a recently deceased teenage girl.

When a mysterious dark-winged angel kidnaps her, Addisyn discovers a seedy underbelly of angel culture. Not all angels are harbingers of sugar and spice and everything nice. Some resent their deaths. Some use their powers for selfish, hedonistic purposes. Some just want to watch the world burn.

To the majority of the angelic world, these fallen angels are a lost cause, but Addi sees a chance to redeem other new angels on the cusp of falling. She's tired of being coddled, sick of being useless, and ready to prove her link and the Elder Council wrong by any means necessary. Through stubbornness, a budding romance, and a friendship that ends too soon, Addisyn is going to make her mark on the world or fall trying.

 NEOPHYTE is a 95,000 word, high young adult contemporary fantasy novel. This is the first in a planned series, but can also stand alone.

I’m a mother with a passion for writing and an over active imagination; which makes soccer practice and the endless dance mom gossip at preschool ballet a little more tolerable! This is my job. I’m a stay at home mom/author with the dream of staying home writing forever and I wouldn’t have it any other way.


Thank you for your time and consideration!

Emmalee Aple

My contact information is as follows:  email: emmalee,aple@gmail.com 
I am also very active on both my facebook page (Emmalee Aple) and my Twitter account - @EmmaleeAple




First 250 of Neophyte:

Honestly, they must have thought I was going to throw a celestial-sized rager the minute they left me alone. They’d promised me some time to myself, and yet, twenty minutes later they were still skulking around trying to find ways to delay the inevitable. I’d been under almost constant supervision for two years. An hour or two alone wasn’t going to kill anyone.
I sank further into the porch swing as the sun dipped over the ocean, creating a cascade of colors across the evening sky. Seawater filled the air with a crisp, cleanness while the waves filled the otherwise silent night with a soft roar. Finally, I could just relax and pretend I was a normal teenage girl, instead of the recently deceased Addisyn White and her five angelic misfit guardians: Bossy, Crabby, Hottie, Cocky, and Rebel.
“Hey,” a voice called from the doorway. I glanced over to my best friend Cocky—I mean Hunter—standing there with a grim look on his face, as if leaving me alone was tantamount to signing my death certificate. Again. He and I had some kind of God-given bond, which sounded far more epic than it really was. Mostly the bond just gave him an all-access pass to my thoughts with only a touch of his hand to mine. I had yet to gain that super power—along with many others on the long list of things I still couldn’t do.  Just another perk of being the newbie.

“Thought I’d tell you Graham and I are leaving.”

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a fun query and I love Addi's voice! Good luck in the contest! ;)

Annette T. Dodd said...

Good luck in the contest!

Unknown said...

What a great voice! Sounds like a fun read!

L. T. Host said...

Okay I really want to read this!! Best of luck!!

Laura Rueckert said...

I like fallen angel stories! Good luck!

Kimberly P. Chase said...

Hi Emmalee,

I just ADORE your query and premise. Angels have been done many times before, but I think your concept might be unique enough to really stand out. Your query & opening 250 are full of such voice! But for some reason I had it in my head that your opening 250 would begin with Addisyn taking a bullet for her friend. What a hook that would be! It would also show what Addisyn's life was before she became an angel. That being said, I'd still really love to see more. Would you mind sending me your first five pages pasted into the body of an email to kpchaseATgamilDOTcom ?

Thanks! <3


Kimberly P. Chase said...

And it's supposed to be: kpchaseATgmailDOTcom
Couldn't edit my post to fix the typo!

Unknown said...

I hope this gets picked! I really like your concept, and you have a spot-on voice. Good luck!

Lora Palmer said...

Love this concept, and I'd love to read about her afterlife :). Best of luck, and congrats on the pages request! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Unknown said...

Love your voice and concept. Good luck!

Post a Comment